NORTON BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Norton Town Council is located 40 kilometers to the west of Harare along the Harare-Bulawayo highway. Norton Town Council is located in Mashonaland West province. From the humble beginning as a nucleus of a village in 1914, Norton grew into a railway siding and to an industrial satellite Township in the early 1950s. It was designed to cater for an overflow of industry from Harare as a result of the post-World War II industrial boom. One of the earliest industries to be located in Norton was the Rhodesian Pulp and Paper industry in 1952.
During the 1950s, Norton was accorded Township Management Board status. Through Statutory Instrument number 15 of 1974 the government upgraded the status to a Town Board under what was known as Norton- Selous Rural Council. That Town Board status was maintained till 1993. In May 1994, Norton was upgraded from a Town Board to a Town Council through the State’s proclamation number 2 of 1994 as published through Statutory Instrument number 75 of 1994. At the moment the town has 13 wards; each ward being represented by an elected Councillor. The Council employs two hundred and sixty one permanent employees. (Norton Town Council Staff Report: November 2014).