Hello world !!! welcome to norton town council Zimbabwe website , please check out the NOTICES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS web page and also sign up for free and follow us on social media to access news letters , latest news and notifications NOTICES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
elektrik faturasi odeme
hgs bakiye yukleme




Subject to the Zimbabwe Constitution and Urban Councils Act Chapter 29:15, Norton Town Council has the right:

  1. The right to govern, on its own initiative, the local affairs of the people within Norton.
  2. Power to make by-laws, regulations or rules for the effective administration of the areas for which they have been established.
  3. Power to levy rates and taxes and generally to raise sufficient revenue for them to carry out their objects and responsibilities.
  4. To lease, erect or acquire any buildings or other improvements on land inside or outside the council area.
  5. To lease or acquire by purchase, exchange or donation or to erect dwelling-houses.
  6. To acquire immovable property at a sale in execution, in pursuance of any judgment obtained by the council.
  7. To construct any works for a purpose which the council is authorized by or under this Act or any other law to carry out.
  8. To provide, lay out, adorn and maintain any open space under the control of the council.
  9.          To provide on land under the control of the council and operate parks and other facilities for recreation, swimming or other sports, bathing, camping and caravanning and to do all things necessary or desirable in connection with the provision or operation of such facilities, including the provision of premises for the sale of food and drink.
  10. To provide, inside or outside the council area, show grounds and facilities connected therewith and to do all things necessary or desirable with regard to the provision of such show grounds and facilities.
  11. To plant, cultivate, trim or remove trees or shrubs on land under the control of the council and to trim or remove roots or branches which interfere with or are likely to interfere with any water main, electricity line, public or private drain or other works of the council.
  12. To take measures for the conservation or improvement of natural resources.
  13. To cultivate and farm land owned by the municipality or town which is not required for other purposes.
  14. To permit the grazing of stock on land under the control of the council.


  1. To provide stock pens and dip tanks inside or outside the council area and to operate them.
  2. To provide, inside or outside the council area, and operate public slaughter-houses, cold storage chambers and depots for the inspection of game and other carcasses
  3. To provide, inside or outside the council area, and operate facilities for the inspection, grading, storage and treatment of agricultural produce and to undertake any service for improving the marketing of such produce.
  4. To provide markets for the sale of agricultural produce, and carry on the business of dealing with agricultural produce at such markets or from mobile vans or other vehicles.To manufacture the drink commonly known as mahewu or maheu and to sell it in any premises in respect of which the council holds a licence or permit in terms of the Liquor Act [Chapter 14:14] or the Traditional Beer Act [Chapter 14:26].
  5. Subject to the Traditional Beer Act [Chapter 14:26] to engage in any activity or do anything in order to give effect to any purposes for which controlled liquor moneys as defined in section 2 of that Act may be applied in terms of that Act.
  6. (1)  Subject to subsection (5) of section two hundred and eighty-two, to make charges in respect of certificates, licences or permits issued, inspections carried out, services provided or any act, matter or thing done by the council in terms of this Act, including the requiring of a deposit in connection with any services provided by the council.
  7. In making charges in the exercise of the powers conferred by subparagraph (1) different charges may be made in respect of different certificates, licences or permits, inspections, services or other acts or different classes thereof.
  8. Subject to such conditions as the Minister, after consultation with the Minister responsible for the administration of the Electricity Act [Chapter 13:05] may approve, to levy surcharges on charges to consumers in respect of electricity supplied to premises within the council.
  9. To hire or acquire vehicles, plant, machinery and equipment for the purpose of carrying out any function conferred or imposed on the council by or under this Act or any other law.
  10. Subject to any other law, to provide and maintain roads, bridges, canals, reservoirs, dams, water courses, furrows and culverts.

Roads, including bridges and culverts, may be provided and maintained in terms of subparagraph (1) outside the council area—

  1. (afor access to or in connection with any facility or amenity provided or operated by the council; and
  2. (b) Either solely by the council or jointly with any other local authority or with the State or any statutory board.


  1. To provide and operate decorations and illuminations of roads and buildings.
  2. To provide advertising hoardings on property under the control of the council and to hire out space on such hoardings.
  3. To provide public sanitary conveniences on land under the control of the council.
  4. To provide and operate a service for removing and treating trade or other effluent, refuse and human waste for the council area or any portion thereof and to make the use of the service compulsory.
  5. To provide and operate a cleansing service for sewerage installations on private premises.
  6. To make measures to control or exterminate insects, pests and vermin.
  7. To provide and operate hospitals, clinics and dispensaries and to take any measures or provide any facilities which the council considers necessary for the maintenance of health, including dental health.
  8. To provide and operate an ambulance service inside or outside the council area
  9. To provide and operate crèches.
  10. To provide, operate or carry on services for the care and welfare of newly-born infants and for the giving of advice, guidance and instructions to expectant mothers and mothers of newly-born infants.
  11. To provide and operate or carry on services for family planning.
  12. To provide and operate public institutions or services for aged persons or mentally or physically handicapped persons or for any other charitable purpose or public orphanages.
  13. To provide maintenance allowances for aged persons, mentally or physically handicapped persons, orphans and indigent persons.
  14. To provide funerals for indigent persons.
  15. Subject to subparagraph (2), to make grants of money or loans for the establishment, maintenance or support of—
  16. (a) any organization or institution which is performing a function which the council itself is, by this Act or any other law, permitted to perform; or
  17. (b) institutions such as—
  18. ii(i) associations for the education of the public in road safety measures; or
  19. i(ii) operatic, orchestral and dramatic societies, scientific, literary and musical institutions, including institutions providing lectures on scientific, literary and other subjects; or
  20. (iii) registered welfare organisations; or
  21. (c) agricultural societies; or
  22. (d) sporting or recreational bodies; or
  23. (e) organizations for the protection of adults, children or animals against accident or cruelty; or
  24. (f) organizations providing instruction in first aid, home or district nursing or any other matter relating to public health; or
  25. (g) organizations for the education, welfare or recreation of members of the Defence Forces, students and school-children, including such movements as the Boy Scouts and the Girl Guides Associations; or
  26. (h) prizes for schools or school-children; or
  27. (i) prizes for training in defence of Zimbabwe; or
  28. (j) measures for the relief of persons suffering from any disaster or widespread calamity; or
  29. (k) the National Arts Council of Zimbabwe; or
  30. (l) the National Trust of Zimbabwe; or
  31. (m) the Trustees of the National Museums and Monuments in respect of the acquisition, restoration or maintenance of historical properties within the council area; or (n) any university or college or any institute of adult education, whether inside or outside Zimbabwe, which is approved by the Minister responsible for education; or
  32. (o) bursaries for students at institutions, whether inside or outside Zimbabwe, approved by the Minister responsible for education.
  33. (2)  A council shall not make any grant or any loan in the exercise of the powers conferred by subparagraph (1) to an institution or organization which is conducted for profit or gain for any person, whether as a shareholder of a company or otherwise.
  34. To provide grants to other local authorities.
  35. To provide, operate and maintain schools and other educational institutions and facilities and amenities connected therewith, and for such purposes to levy and collect fees and other charges.
  36. To provide and operate youth centres and facilities or amenities connected therewith.
  37. To provide and operate employment bureaux.
  38. To provide and operate—
  39. (a) public libraries, museums, including fine arts museums, and art galleries; and
  40. (b) theatres, public halls and public lecture rooms; and
  41. (c) aquaria and botanical and zoological gardens;
  42. and facilities or amenities connected therewith and to hire out the facilities referred to in subparagraph.
  43. To provide and maintain orchestras or bands and to hire them out.
  44. To provide, maintain and operate aerodromes and helicopter stations and facilities connected therewith.


  1. To provide, inside or outside the council area, and operate boats and boating establishments.
  2. To advertise and give publicity to the amenities, attractions and advantages of the council area and the district in which it is situated.
  3. To incur expenditure necessary for the provision and acceptance of civic hospitality, civic presentations and civic courtesies and towards religious services, receptions, commemorations, celebrations, conferences, congresses, entertainments and functions of a civic, public or national character and to defray the expenses of the representation of the council on any such occasion.
  4. To incur expenditure in connection with—
  5. (a) the representation of the council at any congress or conference; or
  6. (b) Any deputation appointed by the council or on which the council is represented.
  7. To provide, operate, support, promote or participate in courses of instruction, seminars and lectures for the purpose of improving the ability of councillors and employees to carry out their functions.
  8. To pay subscription fees to associations established to protect the interests of councils or render advice and service to councils.
  9. Subject to subparagraph (3), to pay to councillors, employees of the council, members of the committees of the council and persons representing the council such sums as may reasonably be necessary to cover travelling and subsistence expenses while on the business of, or representing, the council.
  10. Subject to subparagraph (3), to pay to persons interviewed for appointment to employment of the council or travelling to take up employment with the council such sums as may reasonably be necessary to cover the travelling and subsistence expenses incurred by those persons in connection therewith.
  11. Sums paid in terms of subparagraph (1) or (2) shall not exceed such amounts as the Minister may prescribe.
  12. To provide loans for employees of the council to enable them to purchase motor vehicles necessary for the performance of their duties.
  13. To insure, either through the funds of the municipality or town or through underwriters—
  14. (a) against loses, damages, risks or liabilities the municipality, town or council may incur; and
  15. (b) Councillors, members of committees, employees of the council and persons representing the council against any risk, while engaged upon the business of the council or otherwise.
  16. To present mementoes, including civic regalia, to past mayors, past mayoresses and aldermen of the council.
  17. To adopt a coat of arms or a seal or both, which may be altered from time to time, and determine the use thereof.
  18. To confer the freedom of the municipality upon such persons or bodies as the council may consider worthy thereof.
  19. To provide public monuments and statues on land acquired, leased or set aside for the purpose.
  20. To undertake and carry on any scheme or work for improving facilities or amenities for the public in connection with any land or thing under the control of the council which is a monument or national monument or relic in terms of the National Museums and Monuments Act [Chapter 25:11]:
  21. Provided that no work shall be undertaken in terms of this subparagraph without the consent in writing of the Director appointed in terms of section 14 of that Act and in accordance with such requirements as he may stipulate.
  22. Generally to do all such things, whether or not involving the expenditure, borrowing or lending of money or the acquisition or disposal of any property or rights, as are calculated to facilitate or are incidental or conducive to the performance of the functions of the council or the exercise of the powers specified in this Schedule or which are calculated directly or indirectly to enhance the value of or to develop the operations or property of the council, municipality or town, as the case may be.

Add a Comment